Monday 30 April 2012

Rip van Winkle - behind the times or hen-pecked?

It was never made clear to me how often a blog was to be updated. I read other blogs. Some are diligently updated daily, others maybe weekly. I'm not sure, however, that you're really allowed to go about 28 weeks without blogging and still call yourself a blogger. From now on we'll aim to be weekly.

I guess part of the problem is that when you are living 'it' there is little time to write 'it', and once the living is over what is the point of writing? But perhaps the whisky is making me maudlin here? There seems little point now in trying to review the Buxton Festival Fringe 2007. There were some great shows and the weather was indifferent - but that is hardly an adequate summary is it?

The gap made me think of Rip van Winkle but according to Wikipedia (which is usually interesting if not necessarily correct) RVP was a 'hen-pecked husband' and I'd be in trouble for suggesting that (but then I'd be in trouble for suggesting that I'd be in trouble). I only meant that I'd dozed off for a bit but that I expect to catch-up in due course.

Anyway, let's move on (if I can just climb out of this hole). The Fringe 2008 (and 2009 for that matter - but more later) is taking shape nicely. The first half-a-dozen entries are in now - see www.buxtonfringe.org.uk for details.

If you're thinking of entering - and I hope you are - please be aware that the cost of entry rises the longer you leave it. Enter before February 29th for minimum fees and maximum exposure.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself here - let's set some dates out before we go any further. The Buxton Festival (and Festival Fringe) 2008 run from Wednesday July 9th to Sunday July 27th. This makes it the longest Buxton Festival ever.

The town's street Carnival takes place on Saturday July 12th. Our Party in the Park takes place on the next day - Sunday July 13th. Sunshine, picnics and a preview of some killer acts are promised. (Not sure about the usage of youth language there).

So far as the Fringe is concerned there are some good entries already - Shakespeare, recorder virtuososity, pathos, comedy - and the grapevine tells us that a huge arts & crafts event is planned for the Dome over the last weekend and young Mark Twain may be crossing the pond to rejoin us following his warmly-received visit of 2006. But more of all this in the weeks to come.

2009 marks the 30th anniversary of the Fringe. 30 isn't such a special number (but painful personal experience reminds me that 1979 was the year that Mrs Thatcher was elected - but we'll keep party politics out of this for the most part). No, 30 isn't a magic number but it's excuse enough for a party (and some of us won't make it to 40 - or 35 for that matter). 


So the Fringe 2009 is being launched on the stage of Buxton Opera House on FRIDAY NOVEMBER 7TH 2008. There'll be about half-a-dozen of the most successful and popular Fringe perfomers on stage - comedy, drama, music - with art works around the theatre. After the live entertainment there'll be food and drink on stage for all-comers. We can't promise to go on as long as Ken Dodd - but it will be a great night. Put it in your diary now!


by Keith Savage - 11/01/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment