Monday 30 April 2012

Q & A - Matthew Collins

Matthew's show open tonight - well tea time really - Friday 11th. He's on most days at the Pauper's Pit until Wednesday 16th. And, bless him (I know you aren't supposed to start sentences with "And" - this might be the first time ever) he'll be at the Party in the Park on Sunday 13th. Bring a picnic to the Bandstand in the Pavilion Gardens for a 2pm start. Weather will bound to be better by then!

You haven’t played Buxton before why have you decided to come for 2008?
I’VE NEVER BEEN TO BUXTON – IT LOOKS A LOVELY PLACE, I LIKE THE IDEA OF BEING ABLE TO WALK IN THE PEAKS, AND I ONLY HAVE TO DO MY SHOW FOR A WEEK (11-16 JULY) SO I CAN SPEND THE REST OF THE SUMMER WITH MY KIDS

Amongst Buxton’s famous sons and (adopted daughter) are Tim Brooke-Taylor, Dave Lee Travis and Vera Brittain. How do you feel about following in the footsteps of such giants?
AWE-STRUCK

What reaction do you expect from your audiences?
MY SHOW IS ABOUT RAISING UP KIDS (AND HAVING ADVENTURES WITH THEM) ON A SMALL BUDGET. IT’S SLIGHTLY SIMILAR TO THE STUFF I USED TO DO ON BBC2’S TRAVEL SHOW MANY YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS THE PROGRAMME’S LOW BUDGET TRAVELLER (GETTING SENT OFF EVERY WEEK AT THE END OF THE SHOW ON A BUDGET TRAVEL ASSIGNMENT).
IF I GET THE RIGHT AUDIENCES – PARENTS, KIDS OVER 12, GRANDPARENTS – I HOPE I’LL GET LOTS OF LAUGHS AND APPRECIATION – NOT LEAST OF MY MONEY SAVING SHOPPING TIPS. IF I GET DRUNK 20-SOMETHINGS WHO WANT ‘CUTTING EDGE’ HUMOUR AND VULGARITY APLENTY I’LL PROBABLY GET DISAPPOINTMENT.

5 pieces of fruit and veg a day – what do you choose to eat?
WHATEVER’S ON SPECIAL OFFER IN THE SUPERMARKET

Do you have any superstitions or routines that you follow before starting a performance?
I JUST GO THROUGH MY USUAL OCD ROUTINE – TOUCHING WALLS AND DOOR HANDLES, THAT KIND OF THING.

Buxton Mineral Water – how do you drink it?
STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE – OR WITH ICE AND A SLICE IF I’M BEING REALLY CIVILISED

Are there any other performers/artists that you especially admire? If so, who and why?
JERRY SADOWITZ WHO’S ONE OF THE MOST BRILLIANT AND FOUL-MOUTHED PERFORMERS I HAVE EVER SEEN (AND VERY DIFFERENT TO ME). I SAW HIM TWICE IN EDINBURGH LAST YEAR AND HIS LACK OF CONCESSIONS TO ANYONE ENTHRALLED ME. NOT SURE WHETHER HE’S BUXTON’S THING THOUGH....

What question would you have liked to answer here?
WHERE CAN PEOPLE GET TICKETS FOR YOUR SHOW?

What is your answer?
THE UNDERGROUND VENUES WEBSITE. I THINK IT’SWWW.UNDERGROUNDVENUES.CO.UK BUT I COULD BE WRONG SO PLEASE CHECK IT. ANYWAY, I’M ON AT THE PAUPER’S PIT FROM 11-16 JULY.

Keith Savage - Published 11/07/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment